Re: beta5 ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: beta5 ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > Got this and Justin's changes along with compiler version.  Anyone think
> > of anything else?
>
> Hmm. Any suggestions on how we collate the test results for our release
> docs? And how we solicit tests for remaining platforms?
>
> In previous releases (and until now), I have kept track of results
> posted on the -hackers mailing list, and then when the beta cycle winds
> down would send out a list containing those platforms which have not yet
> been tested.

Can you provide me with a list of platforms it should be tested on?

> It was easy for me to do, and it gave visibility on the developers' list
> for the current status of testing.
>
> Should the procedure now change? And if so, have we just signed me up
> for more work rummaging around a web page to transcribe results? :/

No, I wouldn't do that to you.  You tell me how you want the results
to look and I'll give you copy-n-paste.  All of this info will be stored
in a table so the output is however it's wanted.

> Could we perhaps have a reference on that page to the current
> developer's doc page of "supported platforms"? That would help tie the
> current state of the docs to the current state of the web site report
> form, and it would let people know that they might also post their
> results to the -hackers list to make sure that their results are known
> to others. If we are storing this stuff in a database, then perhaps it
> would be easy to dump those results in a form which maps into the docs?

No problem.

> <philosophy style=randomthought mode=aside>
> I *know* that having web pages for data entry, etc etc are good things.
> But at some point, the fun of working on PG is (at least for me)
> interacting with *people*, not web sites, and I'd like to avoid building
> in procedures which inadvertently discourage that interaction.
> </philosophy>
>
> Suggestions?

If anything this will make it easier for you and give you more time to
interact and less time to have to dig for results which may not be as
complete as you'd like.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from
$16.00/moat Pop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop