Re: 7.0.2 dies when connection dropped mid-transaction - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: 7.0.2 dies when connection dropped mid-transaction
Date
Re: 7.0.2 dies when connection dropped mid-transaction  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [001109 18:55] wrote:
> > > I guess the immediate question is do we want to hold up 7.0.3 release
> > > for a fix?  This bug is clearly ancient, so I'm not sure it's
> > > appropriate to go through a fire drill to fix it for 7.0.3.
> > > Comments?
> >
> > We have delayed 7.0.3 already.  Tom is fixing so many bugs, we may find
> > at some point that Tom never stops fixing bugs long enough for us to do
> > a release.  I say let's push 7.0.3 out.  We can always do 7.0.4 later if
> > we wish.
>
> I think being able to crash the backend by just dropping a connection
> during a pretty trivial query is a bad thing and it'd be more
> prudent to wait.  I have no problem syncing with your guys CVS,
> but people using redhat RPMS and FreeBSD Packages are going to wind
> up with this bug if you cut the release before squashing it. :(

I'm going to fall behind Alfred on this one ... something this easy to
reproduce is a show stopper ...

Tom, if you can plug this one in the next, say, 48hrs (Saturday night),
please do ... else, I'll announce 7.0.3 on Saturday night and we'll leave
it with such a large showstopper :(