Re: Status of new relation file naming - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: Status of new relation file naming
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Well, we are 18 days from beta.  Do we think we can handle that at this
> > > time?
> >
> > My feeling was that the implementation was pretty much decided upon, it
> > was just a matter of saying "go ahead, do it" ... so, "go ahead, do
> > it" ... we have 18 days before beta, and then another 30 or so until
> > release, which should have us releasing, what, around Jan 1, 2001? :)
>
> Yes, Jan 1 would be my guess.  My only question is whether we are making
> things harder for administrators and whether putting some smarts in WAL
> to keep readable file names would be easier.

guess we'll find out ... considering what I've seen of Oracle and its
layouts, I doubt we're making anything harder then most are used to :)

now, guess the next question is ... who is the one implementing this and
how soon can we get it in place?