Re: Re: It happened again: Server hung up solid - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: Re: It happened again: Server hung up solid
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 8 May 2000, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> Thus spake The Hermit Hacker
> > > Marc, if you see it happen again could you give me a call before you
> > > restart?  I'd like to telnet in and poke at it a little myself.
> > > (Wait a sec, is this happening on hub, or somewhere else?)
> >
> > We built a Dual-PIII server to handle just database server, so I can give
> > you access to it ...
>
> Are you talking about the new database server for Trends?  If so I
> should mention that I had to restart it this morning.  Sorry, I didn't
> poke around in it before doing so.  Clients couldn't log in and I
> couldn't wait.
>
> I should mention that I did have to kill -9 it.  A simple kill didn't
> work. I then cleared out the lock file and restarted it and
> connections seem to be working again.

That's the server ... and that's the key problem ... there are apps
running on here that are such that delaying the restart, when it requires
it, is very difficult :(

D'Arcy, when it happens again, and if you catch it before me, can you run:
gcore -s bin/postmaster <pid>

on it as the pgsql user before restarting it?  I just tested it here and
it dump'd core nicely ... I'm hoping it does the same if/when the
postmaster itself hangs *cross fingers*

Systems Administrator @ hub.org