Re: Starting a new project, any opinions about using 7.0? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: Starting a new project, any opinions about using 7.0?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Michael S. Kelly wrote:

> I'm starting a new project.  We've selected PostgreSQL and I'm wondering if
> we shouldn't just jump in with 7.0 and avoid conversion hassles later on.  I
> guess the issues for me are:
>
> 1.  Stability.  How good is Beta 5 (it is 5 now isn't it?)

RC1 now ... I'm running a UDMSearch database, amongst other things, off of
that server right now ... 75k+ pages, a dictionary of >9million tuples
... and find it both stable and faster then v6.5.3 ... only reason all my
databases aren't running off of it right now is haven't had time to move
them ...

> 3.  Support.  Who out there can help when things go wrong?

The mailing lists, if you are into that, are quite fast and effective
... if you want to reach someone by phone,

    PostgreSQL, Inc (http://www.pgsql.com) provides support ...