pg_dump: couldn't find the template1 database. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc Tardif
Subject pg_dump: couldn't find the template1 database.
Date
List pgsql-general
I have updated my port of postgresql on freebsd-current using the
following commands:
# make
# pkg_delete postgresql-6.5.1
# make install

Everything is working well, except for pg_dump which now returns:
pg_dump: couldn't find the template1 database. You are really hosed.
Giving up.

Yet, the template1 database does exist in it's rightful place in
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base. The template1 directory is full of files I
don't quite understand and everything seems to be working well. I'm hoping
someone would know what's the problem with pg_dump or my template1
database.

Thanks in advance,
Marc