Re: I can't go futher after installing the PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: I can't go futher after installing the PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Rajesh Anandarajan wrote:

> Sir,
>
> Because I found the articles about you SQL server very interesting I
> decided to try it. But after the installation is over I am encountering
> problem with it.  Since in your web site no e-mail contacts other than
> this is specified I am giving a try.

Please check out the 'mailing lists' section of our web site, which
contains a listing of several lists depending on which problem or area you
are having problems with...

For this particular problem, I have CC'd this to
pgsql-admin@postgresql.org ...

> I installed it in Linux (Redhat 5.2).  After Successful completion when
> I gave initdb as you said in the guide, it shows an error.  I will paste
> the lines it shows exactly in the order below.  Hoping I will get some
> help from that side.

    the problems you show below remind me of problems I had under
FreeBSD when trying to install on a system where an older version's
libraries still existed.  Did you happen to install a copy of PostgreSQL
that came with Redhat, before you installed the one you are trying to get
working here?

> Thank you
>
> Rajesh
>
> [postgres@raj bin]$ ./initdb
>
> We are initializing the database system with username postgres
> (uid=100).
> This user will own all the files and must also own the server process.
>
> Creating Postgres database system directory /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> Creating Postgres database system directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base
>
> Creating template database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1
>         syntax error 2299 : parse error
> Creating global classes in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base
>
> Adding template1 database to pg_database...
>
> Vacuuming template1
> Creating public pg_user view
> mv: /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/xpg_user: No such file or
> directory
> Creating view pg_rules
> mv: /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/xpg_rules: No such file or
> directory
> Creating view pg_views
> mv: /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/xpg_views: No such file or
> directory
> Creating view pg_tables
> mv: /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/xpg_tables: No such file or
> directory
> Creating view pg_indexes
> mv: /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/xpg_indexes: No such file or
> directory
> [postgres@raj bin]$

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org