Re: beta testing version - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Samplonius
Subject Re: beta testing version
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Don Baccus wrote:

> Will Great Bridge step to the plate and fund a truly open source alternative,
> leaving us with a potential code fork?  If IB gets its political problems
> under control and developers rally around it, two years is going to be a
> long time to just sit back and wait for PG, Inc to release eRServer.
 I doubt that.  There is an IB (Interbase) replication option today, but
you must purchase it.  That isn't so bad actually.  PostgreSQL looks to be
going that way too:  base functionality is open source, periphial
companies make money selling extensions.
 Besides simple master-slave replication is old news anyhow, and not
terribly useful.  Products like FrontBase (www.frontbase.com) have full
shared-nothing cluster support too (FrontBase is commerical).  Clustering
is a much better solution for redundancy purposes that replication.

Tom