Re: [GENERAL] Postgres vs commercial products - Mailing list pgsql-general

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Postgres vs commercial products
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, dave madden wrote:

>  =>From: Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>
>  =>Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 01:01:05 -0400 (EDT)
>  =>...
>  =>> This would be major leap for PostgreSQL if someone financed two
>  =>> months of Vadim for example ...
>  =>
>  =>That would be great.  I feel like I am standing still when Vadim is
>  =>working.
>
> Hi.  We're currently using Oracle for our Web stuff, but their
> licensing program is byzantine, and the price (if you can figure it
> out) starts at outrageous and goes up.  We'd be very interested in
> seeing PostgreSQL become a viable alternative for our applications,
> and would be willing to put up some money for it.
>
> What's the best way to set something like this up?  There's a few
> features we'd need to be assured of getting for our investment, but
> other than that, fronting money for free software development is not a
> problem (depending on the amount, of course :-)

    By the end of this weekend, I will have an announcement up on the
WWW and here concerning this...I want to build the pages and get the -core
group to review and comment on it before I elaborate further in public...

    Patience :)