Sufficient Primary Key? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dan Delaney
Subject Sufficient Primary Key?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello all.
   I'm working on a library catalog and trying to decide what to use
for the primary key for the authors. Do you think that the first
three letters of first and last name with the birth year would be
sufficient (e.g., Alan Watts would be ALAWAT1915). So, essentially,
do you think there there would ever be two authors with the same
first and last name AND the same birth year? I really don't want to
inject the middle name into there because I can't find the middle
name (or even middle initial) of most authors!
   Thanks.
 --Dan

 Daniel G. Delaney                    The Louisville Times Chorus
 Dionysos@Dionysia.org                   www.LouisvilleTimes.org
 www.Dionysia.org/~dionysos/          Dionysia Design
 ICQ Number: 8171285                     www.Dionysia.com/design/
                   I doubt, therefore I might be.