Re: [ANNOUNCE] Revamp'd Web Site... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Revamp'd Web Site...
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Tom Lane wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> >     I just did a relatively major cleanup of the WWW site, and am
> > looking for feedback.
>
> Here's mine: frames suck.
>
> The front page now comes up completely blank in a non-frames-savvy
> browser.  That's unfriendly; you should at least have a NOFRAMES section.

    What browser are you running?  IE and Netscape both support
Frames, as does Lynx, to a certain extent...

> More generally, though, frames lose for any number of reasons:
> you can't bookmark a frameset,

    Have to agree with this one...

> the "back" button typically doesn't
> behave intuitively,

    Can't agree here...the 'back' button, at least for me, does
exactly the same thing for me here as it did with the old site.  Goes back
to the previous page (or frame) that I saw before...as does the forward to
the next one...

> The old design seemed to be trying to emulate the look of a framed site
> without actually using frames, which was not really such a bad thing.
> The site *worked* quite well, except for some extra download time.
> I think the new setup is less usable.

    I didn't like the old design for exactly that reason...Basically,
I think that its more attractive to have an index bar that doesn't get
reloaded each and every time, just the text that changes.