Re: [GENERAL] Postgresql for Yoga's Data Store - Mailing list pgsql-general

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Postgresql for Yoga's Data Store
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Oliver Giller wrote:

> Postgresql is probably the most mature and stable of the FSF/GNU database
> product line, but it suffers from a few drawbacks.

    Drawback 1: We are *not* a FSF/GNU database product, and never
will be...we are a 'Berkeley product' if anything...

> In
> particular is has no automatic recovery

    What is "automatic recovery"?  My first thought would be that its
the transactional rollback capability that we do have...unless they mean
crash recovery?  And Oracle doesn't have that automatic either (we deal
with it at work)...

> , administrator intervention is
> always required. [check status of transaction management and
> logging].

    This one kinda loses me...what are they looking for here?

> Documentation is sparse to non existent.

    As you mentioned earlier, this has changed drastically in the last
release, and continues to do so...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org