Re: [HACKERS] custom types and optimization - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] custom types and optimization
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, David Gould wrote:

> > On Sun, 31 May 1998, David Gould wrote:
> >
> > > As you may have noticed, I am something of a Linux advocate. And, quite
> > > seriously, I believe it possible that in five years not even Sun will be
> > > shipping anything else.
> >
> >     That must be why Sun is currently paying for developers to port
> > FreeBSD over to the Sparc architecture, eh? *grin*
> >
> >     And, ya, I am serious...one of the developers on the FreeBSD
> > mailing lists is contracted to Sun MicroSystems to get a FreeBSD port off
> > the ground...
>
> Thats great. Any victory for freed software is a victory for freed software!

    Actually, I would rather see Unix dominate the market, period...I
don't really care whether that be Linux or FreeBSD or Solaris...they all
have their 'niches'...

    I've said it before, and will continue to say it...the Linux
community has done a *great* job towards providing an alternative to
MicroSloth...they have a ways to go, but at least they are making inroads.

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org