Re: [HACKERS] SAP and MySQL ... [and Benchmark] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: [HACKERS] SAP and MySQL ... [and Benchmark]
Date
List pgsql-general
Jan wrote [to hackers, but I moved it to general (sorry in advance if that
was bad)]:

>SAP failed on the attempt to open source ADABAS even more miserably than
>Borland with Interbase. Now it looks like they found someone who said
>"we know open source, we can do that, oh pick me, me, me, pick meeeeee!"

I wonder if the SAP deal is related to the $19.5 million round of
venture capital MySQL AB just raised:

  http://seattle.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2003/06/02/daily19.html
  "2003-06-04...

   Open-source data firm raises $19.5 million

   A Swedish open-source database developer with U.S. offices in Seattle
   has raised $19.5 million to continue its advance into the database
market.

   MySQL AB said its backers were led by Benchmark Capital of Palo Alto,
Calif.,...
  "

Could be the investors wanted to see closer business ties, and SAP's a nice
big business to have close ties to.

   Ron