RE: partition pruning only works for select but update - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From James Pang (chaolpan)
Subject RE: partition pruning only works for select but update
Date
List pgsql-performance
Thanks for your quick response, yes, pretty complicated logical replication between databases for our system, the
logicalreplication tool just support V13 until now and it take long time for this vendor to support V14.    We just
migratefrom Oracle to Postgres, a lot of partition tables and huge table data in partition tables too, and we see big
differencewith part SQL response time between Oracle and PGv13, especially for "updates" on tables with many
partitions(>2kpartitions).
  I will share update and push replication tool and old app support V14 as a best way to improve partition table update
forlarge tables, and as first step of tuning , we try to reduce partition count for these tables in PGV13.

James

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Sent: Friday, July 1, 2022 9:18 PM
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com>
Cc: James Pang (chaolpan) <chaolpan@cisco.com>; pgsql-performance@lists.postgresql.org
Subject: Re: partition pruning only works for select but update

Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> writes:
> On Fri, Jul 01, 2022 at 08:30:40AM +0000, James Pang (chaolpan) wrote:
>> We have other application depend on V13, possible to backport code
>> changes to V13 as
>> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=patch;h=86dc900
>> 56dfdbd9d1b891718d2e5614e3e432f35

> In any case, I'm sure the feature won't be backpatched to v13 - it's
> an improvement but not a bugfix.

Even more to the point, it was an extremely major change and would take a huge amount of QA effort to ensure that
droppingit into v13 wouldn't cause fresh problems.  The PG community has exactly no interest in making such effort.

Besides which, what do you imagine "depends on v13" actually means?
If you have an app that works on v13 but not v14, maybe it's because it depends on the old behavior in some way.

Spend your effort on updating your app, instead.

            regards, tom lane