Re: Performance comparison between Postgres and Greenplum - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Suvankar Roy
Subject Re: Performance comparison between Postgres and Greenplum
Date
List pgsql-performance

Hi Scott,

This is what I have got -

In Greenplum, the following query returns:

test_db1=# select version();
                                                                                  version
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 PostgreSQL 8.2.13 (Greenplum Database 3.3.0.1 build 4) on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-44) compiled on Jun  4 2009 16:30:49
(1 row)

In Postgres, the same query returns:

postgres=# select version();
                       version
 PostgreSQL 8.3.7, compiled by Visual C++ build 1400
(1 row)

Regards,

Suvankar Roy
Tata Consultancy Services
Ph:- +91 33 66367352
Cell:- +91 9434666898

Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>

07/15/2009 09:10 AM

Suvankar Roy <suvankar.roy@tcs.com>
cc
pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject
Re: [PERFORM] Performance comparison between Postgres and Greenplum

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Suvankar Roy<suvankar.roy@tcs.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some 99,000 records in a table (OBSERVATION_ALL) in a Postgres DB as
> well as a Greenplum DB.
>
> The Primary key is a composite one comprising of 2 columns (so_no,
> serial_no).
>
> The execution of the following query takes 8214.016 ms in Greenplum but only
> 729.134 ms in Postgres.
> select * from observation_all order by so_no, serial_no;
>
> I believe that execution time in greenplum should be less compared to
> postgres. Can anybody throw some light, it would be of great help.

What versions are you comparing?

ForwardSourceID:NT00004AAE
and any attachments. Thank you