PGADMIN default storage EXTENDED for Character fields - Mailing list pgsql-general

From MargaretGillon@chromalloy.com
Subject PGADMIN default storage EXTENDED for Character fields
Date
List pgsql-general

I am using PGADMIN III v1.1.0 Windows to set up PostgreSQL tables on a
Linux Server, RedHat 9. Every time I create a character field, even just
one character wide, the PGADMIN uses EXTENDED as the default storage type.
Is this normal? I can't find anything about why this would be done in the
PostgreSQL documentation or the Internet. It seems to me it will be very
messy if every character field is in a secondary table. I would have
thought the EXTENDED would only be for very large character fields.

***
Margaret Gillon, IS Dept., Chromalloy Los Angeles, ext. 297