Re: Demo versions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tyler Mitchell
Subject Re: Demo versions
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks for the pointer Bill. I was just thinking of a read only db for
starters.

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           Bill Moran             |
|         |           <wmoran@potentialtech.c|
|         |           om>                    |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           pgsql-general-owner@pos|
|         |           tgresql.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           06/06/2002 05:44 PM    |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> Hello, anyone got any really simple postgresql demo cd's available?  I'm
> thinking of something that could run off of a CD to provide an
easy-to-use
> method for demonstrating the power of pgsql.

Some folks from Brazil did an excellent job of creating a set of scripts
that
can be used to make a bootable FreeBSD CD.  You can go through the first
few
steps, then chroot to the staging directory and install Postgre (and
whatever
other software you want) and adjust startup scripts or create demo
databases
to your heart's content.  Then complete the process and actually burn the
CD.
The only problem I can see, is how would you make a read/write database
that
ran off a CD? Unless you made a huge mfs to put the Postgre data on.
Anywhoo, the scripts can be d/l here:
http://ftp.unicamp.br/pub/FreeBSD-LiveCD/

--
Bill Moran