Re: Materialized views in Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jayadevan M
Subject Re: Materialized views in Oracle
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,
..
> up front, I'm not a database expert by any means and I'm nowhere close
> to an Oracle expert, or even an Oracle novice.  If Oracle was a
> swimming pool, I would have those little floaty duck things on my
> arms.
Please go through this link

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::NO::P11_QUESTION_ID:15695764787749
Going through this and other queries/replies from Tom helps much more than going through Oracle documentation. Tom is far more helpful than the floaty ducks.
By the way, I have used MVs in Oracle for a long time and did not run into major issues with them. But I started working with Oracle sometime ago. So what comes across as 'strange' SQL to non-Oracle users is 'very normal' SQL for me:).
Do be careful with on COMMIT FAST REFRESH MVs in OLTP systems.

See..
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:4541191739042

"
4) basically, your commits will tend to serialize. Whether this is an issue depends on how long your materialized view takes to refresh itself. Remember - the commits will serialize - not entire transactions, just the very end of them. "

"As mentioned above, materialized views typically add overhead to individual transactions and, if created with REFRESH ON COMMIT, will introduce contention. The overhead arises from the need to track the changes made by a transaction, these changes will either be maintained in the session state or in log tables. In a high end OLTP system, this overhead is not desirable. "

Regards,
Jayadevan

DISCLAIMER:

"The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original communication. IBS makes no warranty, express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any attachment and is not liable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses or for resultant loss or damage, if any, direct or indirect."