pg_shadow and pg_crypto - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Frank Cavaliero
Subject pg_shadow and pg_crypto
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi all,

I'm currently performing a hash check for password verification.    I'm generating an md5  hash or checking for plain text in pg_shadow.  However, outside of these two "out-of-the-box" options, what if someone is using pg-crypto or any other PAM ?  How can I differentiate between say md5 and pgcrypto ?  I see the md5 is prefixed in hash in pg_shadow.  I was wondering what other prefixes may exist, say for pgcrypto.  If you have an examples of what a pgcrypto or any other PAM hash would look like (or what they would at least begin with), that would be great.

Thanks,
Frank

Frank Cavaliero

Database Administrator