Re: Why PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Hihn
Subject Re: Why PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
I just say it was started as a University project (nothing wrong with that),
and eventually became viable (nothing wrong with that either). Then
companies found it was viable and now participate in it's development
(nothing wrong with that too!)

My Boss, a rather traditional fellow and totally without grasp on Open
Source Sid "If it's free it can't be worth anything, or there has to be a
catch."

It was the then history that brought him around.

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Carlos Moreno
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 2:22 PM
To: adrapley@rapleyzone.com
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Why PostgreSQL?

Derrick Rapley wrote:

>What I want to know is how can one persuade IT managers and decision makers
>to go with PostgreSQL, when most probably haven't even heard of it?

Well, if they're into sick, cruel dark humor, you could tell them
"see what happens to incompetent people like NASA for using
MySQL?"

I know, I know, bad and tasteless joke...

Kidding aside, you could sell them the idea of the general
benefits of open source software.  By far the two most
popular opensource databases are PG and MySQL, and for
anything more than toy applications (such as things for
which one would consider Access), Postgres wins hands down --
well, this world is a sad place, actually; I feel depressed
to live in a world where Postgres wins a poll by just one
vote against the worst crap that ever existed (MySQL) --
besides Microsoft software, of course.

Anyway, a technical comparison between PG and MySQL
should convince even the most ignorant of the managers;
Referential integrity  (GOD, what makes me really mad is
that MySQL not only doesn't support referential integrity;
they sell it as a feature, as if it was a good thing!!
GOD!! Have those people EVER taken a databases course??!!);
sub-queries is also an extremely important feature that
MySQL lacks (last time I checked, at least)

So, if they buy the idea of open source, then it shouldn't
be too hard to convince them to choose PG -- despite MySQL
being one of the hot keywords when talking about open
source ...  again, this world is such a depressing place
:-(

Carlos