Re: Elocution - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jason Hihn
Subject Re: Elocution
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> I personally think a win32 will instantly catapult postgresql into
> superstar status and bring in legions of developers who are dissatisfied
> with Microsoft products.  It will also make postgres a member of a very
> small club of full feature databases that you can package and ship with
> a commercial application.

I can think of no other Great Database for Windows. MySQL might come close,
but we can sweep them under the rug by pointing out that moving between
(develop, deploy) on PG is much easier because of similar feature sets. How
in MySQL can you do triggers and ref. integ. constraints? Any seasoned app
developer will know that each customer has a preference for a particular
database. Working from one that is highly ANSI compliant, as well as
possessing the same features as the Great Databases, will ease the portings.
This is a completely reasonable FUD tactic. You never know what DB your
customer is going to require it in. One may want Oracle, another SQL Server,
another DB2. The cost of developing against all of those (licensing only) is
roughly $50,000, where as PostgreSQL is free, freely deployable and easily
ported from.  (What my former company did when they found themselves in this
situation is to get a commitment that would cover the cost. Alternatives are
to have the customer ship you the machine with the DB pre-installed for
testing if support/maintenance is not required.)

Even though you could use MySQL in the same way, (putting trigger logic in
the app) one problem is that if you have multiple clients, all clients must
be upgraded lest one put your data asunder. By developing business rules and
following them, you only need to update the clients when the business logic
changes. Other times that enhancements are made, they are made in 1 place,
and all others get the updates intrinsically, instantly. That is another FUD
item.

Note: FUD is ok, as long as it's valid.

But anyway, I agree with Merlin, particularly that Mono ASP.Net is out
now...