Re: How to efficiently duplicate a whole schema? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Nick Fankhauser
Subject Re: How to efficiently duplicate a whole schema?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Sebastien-

I have a similar nightly process to keep our development system synched with
production. I just do a complete pg_dump of production, do a dropdb &
createdb to empty the database for development, and then restore the whole
db from the pg_dump file. Our database is about 12 GB currently, and it
takes less than one hour to dump & restore back into dev if I go through a
file. I can go even faster by piping the data to eliminate one set of reads
& writes to the disk:

dropdb dev
createdb dev
pg_dump prod | psql dev

This of course only works if you haven't changed your data structure in the
development area, but it is very simple and reasonably quick.

in situations where the data structure has changed, I run a more complex
system that deletes data rather than drop the whole db, but I always drop
the indexes in development before restoring data and recreate them
afterwards.

-Nick