Vacuuming - how often? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Muir
Subject Vacuuming - how often?
Date
Re: Vacuuming - how often?  (Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh@pop.jaring.my>)
List pgsql-general
I'm using 7.1 on redhat 7.1...

I had a query result which startled me a bit...  it was a simple join and
the result was like a cartesian product like I hadn't bothered with a when
clause.

I ran vacuum from inside pgaccess and the results of the query changed to
what I was expecting in the first place...

What I'm wondering is what is the likely problem here?  Does this mean that
*regular* maintenance is required?  the data in this database is pretty much
append only.. with some updating, but next to zero deleting is done...

any comments on this?

thanks
Scott.