RE: INET/CIDR types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Larry Rosenman
Subject RE: INET/CIDR types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Can we dig up the RFC?

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-hackers-owner@hub.org [mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner@hub.org]On
Behalf Of D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 3:53 PM
To: Larry Rosenman
Cc: pgsql-hackers@hub.org; Don Baccus
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] INET/CIDR types

Thus spake Larry Rosenman
> What RFC says you can't print all 4 octets of a CIDR Netnumber?

Can't recall.  It was Paul Vixie who made the claim and since he was
probably the one who wrote it I tend to believe him.

In fact it may be that it suggested rather than required but someone
would have to dig out the RFC before we considered changing it I think.

> Why does network(cidr) return the whole cidr output just like
> select cidr?

Yah, it's redundant.  "network(cidr)" is just a long way to say "cidr."
The only reason it is there is because of the way the code was written
for the two types.  Not having it would have required a special test to
look for it and technically it is correct so we didn't bother.