Re: [ADMIN] Speed problem - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Roger Books
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Speed problem
Date
List pgsql-admin
After conferring with Jan Weick I removed the index I had on the
database in question and that seems to have solved my problem.
A corrupt index is a bad thing.

On the memory issue, I'm running PII-300's with 128MB of RAM.
while memory is always full (this machine is also running bind)
and has stuff swapped, there is actually very little swapping
going on.  Maybe it's just me but I don't recall ever seeing
a Unix box that didn't have something swapped.  Normally those
are procs that are doing nothing.  Now, I'm no expert on this
particular program, however, from previous experience...

If you are getting incremental slow downs on a program and
your swap space is not growing at the same rate slow swap
would not be high on my list of suspects.

Roger Books