Batch copying of databases - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tim Mohler
Subject Batch copying of databases
Date
Re: Batch copying of databases  ("Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in>)
List pgsql-performance
Hi all,

I'm new to Postgres, and am not even the DBA for the system. I'm just a
sysadmin trying to make things run faster. Every month, we copy over a 25
million row table from the production server to the reporting server. Total
size is something like 40 gigabytes.

The copy in takes close to 24 hours, and I see the disks being hammered by
hundreds of small writes every second. The system is mostly waiting on I/O.
Is there any facility in Postgres to force batching of the I/O transactions
to something more reasonable than 8K?

Thanks for any advice,
Tim