Corrupted Database - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Martin Kuria
Subject Corrupted Database
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi, my linux machine crushed and my postgresql 6.5 database was corrupted.

I have /var/lib/pgsql/data intact, When I reinstalled Linux in a new
machine, Can I copy this directory back in the new postgresql database, and
will it work, because I have tried to do that but it did not work.

Note: I had not backed my data so no pg_dump done , how else can I recover
the data please do advice, I have /var/lib/pgsql/data directory which
contains the databases, but how do I make the databases work please do
assist thanks again

Kind Regards

Martin Wainaina Kuria
Programmer/Database Administrator