Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joel Burton
Subject Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > > Rather than propagating the SysV semaphore API still further,
> why don't
> > > we kill it now?  (I'm willing to keep the shmem API, however.)
> >
> > Would this have the benefit of allow PostgreSQL to work properly in BSD
> > jails, since lack of really working SysV IPC was the problem there?
>
> I have postgresql working quite happily in FreeBSD jails!  (Just make sure
> you go "sysctl jail.sysvipc_allowed=1").

Yep, Alastair D'Silva helpfully pointed this out a month or two ago, and for
many people, this would be a workable solution. Unfortunately, it appears
that you have to run this command outside the jail, which I don't have
access to.

I forwarded the suggestion to my ISP (imeme, a Zope provider), who said
that:

"This will allow you to run a single postgres in a single jail only one
user would have access to it.  If you try to run more then one it will
try to use the same shared memory and crash."

And therefore they refused to make the change. (More annoyingly, they kept
trying to convince me that I should quit my whining and use MySQL since it's
"ACID compliant").

So, I'm holding out hope that since this ISP seems unenlightened, one day
PostgreSQL will simply run in BSD jails without a cooperating jailmaster,
and it sounded like using the APR _might_ make this possible. (All of my
other projects use PG; I'd sure love to get this one switched over!)

Joel BURTON | joel@joelburton.com | joelburton.com | aim: wjoelburton
Knowledge Management & Technology Consultant