Re: SCSI vs SATA - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From James Mansion
Subject Re: SCSI vs SATA
Date
List pgsql-performance
>Logic?

Foul!  That's NOT evidence.

>Mechanical devices have decreasing MTBF when run in hotter environments,
>often at non-linear rates.

I agree that this seems intuitive.  But I think taking it as a cast-iron
truth is dangerous.

>Server class drives are designed with a longer lifespan in mind.

Evidence?

>Server class hard drives are rated at higher temperatures than desktop
>drives.
>
>Google can supply any numbers to fill those facts in, but I found a
>dozen or so data sheets for various enterprise versus desktop drives in
>a matter of minutes.

I know what the marketing info says, that's not the point.  Bear in mind
that these are somewhat designed to justify very much higher prices.

I'm looking for statistical evidence that the difference is there, not
marketing colateral.  They may be designed to be more reliable.  And
the design targets *that the manufacturer admits to* may be more
stringent, but I'm interested to know what the actual measured difference
is.

From the sound of it, you DON'T have such evidence.  Which is not a
surprise, because I don't have it either, and I do try to keep my eyes
open for it.

James