Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel Westermann (DWE)
Subject Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13
Date
Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-general
>On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 08:10:08AM -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 3/30/21 8:06 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> > What other software needs to upgrade through all intermediate versions?
>>
>> Many variations of OS'es, though not all. One of the benefits of Ubuntu is
>> that you can jump from x.LTS to y.LTS over intermediate versions.

>Oh, yeah.  Anyway, any idea of how to more clearly state users don't
>need to upgrade to intermediate versions?

The best place would be the release notes, I guess. Right at the beginning here:

E.3.2. Migration to Version 13

A dump/restore using pg_dumpall or use of pg_upgrade or logical replication is required for those wishing to migrate
datafrom any previous release. See Section 18.6 for general information on migrating to new major releases.

We could mention that pg_upgrade works across the supported major versions.

Regards
Daniel