Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1
Date
List pgsql-general
On Apr 4, 2006, at 12:45 PM, Tony Caduto wrote:
>> You wrote "Unfortunately Red Hat's backwards-compatibility policy
>> forbids dropping
>> new major PG releases into old RHEL branches". So that means I cannot
>> upgrade to Postgresql 8.x on a RedHat9 server? Currently I am using
>> Postgresql 7.3 but was planning on upgrading before I put the
>> database
>> into production.
>
> Hi Margaret,
> Tom means that Redhat won't provide a update for Postgresql, that does
> not mean you can't install it yourself.
>
> I run RedHat EL 4.3(Postgresql is at 7.4.x on EL 4.3) at work and I
> run
> 8.1 on it, I just installed it myself.

Just realize that RedHat won't provide any support for 8.x on
RHAS2.1. Pervasive would be happy to, though. :)

Incidentally, someone from Red Hat talked to me at Linuxworld about
setting up some kind of partnership. Turns out he didn't know who Tom
Lane was or where he worked. :)