Re: Fixing inconsistencies in the list of books - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Fixing inconsistencies in the list of books
Date
List pgsql-www

> On Nov 10, 2022, at 7:11 AM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>
> When I added a book to the list a while back I realized that the list is quite
> inconsistent in how it lists and even spells authors (and in more minor
> nitpicks, punctuation).  The case at hand is "Hans-Juergen Schoenig" and
> "Hans-Jürgen Schönig".  The attached patch attempts to make it consistent in
> how authors are spelled using HTML entities, and how we list multiple authors.

Many of these were user supplied and some a very long
time ago, so there’s no surprise there are inconsistencies.

> Longer term it might make sense to move this information to the database and
> template the list, but that feels like a low-priority task (if one at all)
> given the low churn of this list.

We’ve discussed this in the past and decided not to do it. Given
how we handle images, we would still need to have a commit
with a new book, so I don’t think we save much, and
some of
the consistency errors are not prevented by putting it into
a database.

Jonathan