Re: FUD!! ODBC will not be supported by Microsoft in the f - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Janet Borschowa
Subject Re: FUD!! ODBC will not be supported by Microsoft in the f
Date
List pgsql-odbc

Yes, its true that OLEDB is a native API for SQL Server. However, it is NOT
TRUE that ODBC is not. Please show me a link to Microsoft's website where it
says that their ODBC SQL Server driver is not an API. Here is what I find in
Microsoft's manual for SQL Server:

"Open C API designed to access data in SQL databases. The SQL Server ODBC
driver is a native, high-performance driver that directly accesses the SQL
Server TDS protocol."

> It's totally up to you to disregard what MS has said is
> coming, but the
> people that live thru the problem when MS dropped MS Jet
> Engine and Foxpro
> connectivity understand the significants of this statement.
>
> Without a native OLEDB connectivity solution, if your
> customers are on a
> version of MDAC that no longer supports your way of connecting to the
> database...you have some big problems on your hand.
>
> Sure, ODBC will still be around, but the only way you will be able to
> connect to it will be to write native calls to ODBC.  You
> would be stupid to
> write a new application to talk natively to ODBC, since MS will not be
> making any new enhancements or fixes to ODBC, MS is dropping
> the OLEDB to
> ODBC bridge and OLEDB and ADO.Net are where things are headed
> (and has been
> for a couple of years now).

Again, please send the link to Microsoft's website where they say that they
are not going to make new enhancements or fixes to the ODBC SQL Server
driver (I do not care about Microsoft's ODBC driver for Oracle). This is a
native API for SQL Server (see above) and I have been unable to find any
information from Microsoft that says what you claim. I am very interested in
hearing from you on this point. Thanks!

Please note, dropping the "OLE DB to ODBC bridge" does not mean that they
are dropping the "ODBC SQL Server driver."