Re: MySQL drops support for most distributions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: MySQL drops support for most distributions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Dec 13, 2006, at 11:21 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Markus Schiltknecht <markus@bluegap.ch> writes:
>> John D. Burger wrote:
>>> Sure, but they won't use PG either, for essentially the same reason,
>>> since =all= PG support is "third party".
>
>> So one can debate if i.e. EnterpriseDB is providing third party
>> support
>> for PostgreSQL or first-hand support for their own product :-)
>
> The other point I'd make against John's argument is that there are a
> whole lot of Fortune 500 companies buying Red Hat support, and RH is
> effectively a third party for large chunks of Linux.  (Of course,
> there are also large chunks for which Red Hat employees write as much
> code as anyone; but certainly that's not true for every package.)
>
> I think the real criterion for big companies is not so much whether
> you're supporting your "own" product as whether you're big enough to
> be worth suing if things go wrong.

We sell a postgresql-based product into some very large, household name
US and international, companies. In some cases we've been the first
postgresql instance into otherwise Oracle or MySQL focused companies.

I'm pretty sure we're smaller than any of the third-party postgresql
support companies, so we'd be far less interesting to sue too.

Cheers,
   Steve