Re: [SQL] Unanswered Questions WAS: An unresolved performance problem. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Randall Lucas
Subject Re: [SQL] Unanswered Questions WAS: An unresolved performance problem.
Date
List pgsql-performance
Folks,

I suspect that a good number of fairly simple questions aren't being
answered because they're either misdirected or because the poster
hasn't included an "answerable" question (one with sufficient
information to answer).

A suggestion to partially counter this, at least for "slow query" type
questions, has been put forth.  If we make it a social norm on the
pg-lists in general to reply off-list to inadequately descriptive "slow
query" questions with a canned message of helpful guidance, we may be
able to up the level of "answerability" of most questions.  Ideally,
this would make the questions more transparent, so that more responses
can come from folks other than the major contributors.

Thoughts?  Josh and I have placed a draft at
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/SlowQueryPostingGuidelines

I'd specifically like to hear whether people would suggest more of an
emphasis on heuristics for self-help in such a message, what other info
should be included in a "good" slow query question, and people's
thoughts on the netiquette of the whole idea.

Best,

Randall