Re: Queries intermittently slow - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Rankin
Subject Re: Queries intermittently slow
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 1/6/16, 11:14 PM, "Jim Nasby" <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com> wrote:

>On 1/6/16 12:01 PM, Scott Rankin wrote:
>> I guess we’re back to lock contention?
>
>Is there by chance an anti-wraparound vacuum happening on that table?
>
>Actually, for that matter... if autovacuum is hitting that table it's
>locking could be causing problems, and it won't release it's locks until
>the deadlock detector kicks in.
>--
>Jim Nasby, Data Architect, Blue Treble Consulting, Austin TX
>Experts in Analytics, Data Architecture and PostgreSQL
>Data in Trouble? Get it in Treble! http://BlueTreble.com

Hi Jim, Tom,

Thanks both of you for your help, by the way.

I lowered the deadlock_timeout this morning to 100ms and ran for a little while, but I did not see any lock waits even
whenthe statements ran slowly.

Jim, to your point, I enabled auto vacuum logging (log_autovacuum_min_duration=0) but no vacuums are taking place even
whenI see slow queries.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Scott
This email message contains information that Motus, LLC considers confidential and/or proprietary, or may later
designateas confidential and proprietary. It is intended only for use of the individual or entity named above and
shouldnot be forwarded to any other persons or entities without the express consent of Motus, LLC, nor should it be
usedfor any purpose other than in the course of any potential or actual business relationship with Motus, LLC. If the
readerof this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended
recipient,you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.If you have received this communication in error, please notify sender immediately and destroy the original
message.

Internal Revenue Service regulations require that certain types of written advice include a disclaimer. To the extent
thepreceding message contains advice relating to a Federal tax issue, unless expressly stated otherwise the advice is
notintended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer, for the purpose of
avoidingFederal tax penalties, and was not written to support the promotion or marketing of any transaction or matter
discussedherein.