Re: [ADMIN] Using Postgresql as application server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Benjamin Krajmalnik
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Using Postgresql as application server
Date
List pgsql-general
Further to Scott's comment, we are running our application platform on
nginx/php (using php-fpm).
It scales very well and it is extremely fast.
When running under Apache, we had to constantly restart the apache
service because it could not handle the load (at 150 concurrent users
hitting the app it would pretty much grind to a standstill).  We moved
to Nginx, have quadrupled the number of devices which are accessing our
platform, and the number of php processes which are actually running is
< 10.  I had allocated a dynamic pool whereby we have 35 processes ready
to accept requests at all times and which can dynamically scale up, but
it does not come close to needing to use all of the existing processes.
Everything is running under FreeBSD 8.1 amd64.

As Scott mentioned, wrapping it into a real language is much better -
the extent of what you will be able to do within the module will be
severely limited vs a real language.