Re: Help me improve the 9.2 release announcement! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Help me improve the 9.2 release announcement!
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Aug 3, 2012, at 8:23 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> We're going with a 2-part theme: Performance/Scalability, and JSON.
> Among other things, this means leaving a major feature (Range Types) out
> of the release announcement.   However, I couldn't find a way to make
> range types fit with a general theme, *and* they are hard to explain to
> reporters and analysts (despite the fact that this is the one 9.2
> feature I personally am already using).

I was planning to mention range types in a quote that I was going to submit.  I think they are too important to leave
out. In many ways, it would be better to promote the range type functionality  in this release than JSON as range types
supporttype extensions and have GiST indexing available.  The primary target of people using Postgres are still
developers,so we want them to be aware of what cool features are available.

For instance, a way to describe ranges in a way that both developers + reporters could understand: "PostgreSQL now
supportsrange data types, which allow developers to quickly find overlapping series of data, useful for booking and
reservationsystems."

The ability to stored formatted JSON in Postgres is great, but it is still limited in terms of how we can interact with
itcompared to some of the other DBs on the market.  Looking at the notes from the dev conf, it would be better to
activelypromote the JSON support on the 9.3 release as one of the key features, should a lot of those mentioned
featuresget into the release.

Will take a crack at some language edits this evening.

Jonathan