Re: Recovery Test Framework - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Recovery Test Framework
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 12 jan 2009, at 17.42, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:33:43AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
>>> Two things to fix this, and several other problems:
>>
>>> 1.  Remove the messages size limits on -hackers.  They serve no
>>> useful purpose, and they interfere with our development process.
>>
>> Agreed, or at least boost it up a good bit more.
>>
>>> If -hackers isn't already subscriber-only, now would be the time
>>> to make it so.
>>
>> Not sure how that's relevant?
>
> Spam and wackiness.  Consider what Dmitry Turin would do with an
> unlimited ability to send his "specs" to -hackers.

It is. Anything submitted from addresses not subscribed is moderated.
I tested this by mistake today by sending from the wrong address.

>>> 2.  Start using more git, as many hackers and committers have
>>> already started to do.  This is the kind of situation where CVS
>>> just plain falls down because branching and merging are
>>> unmanageably difficult in it, where in git, they're
>>> many-times-a-day operations.
>>
>> This is a red herring, unless your proposal also includes making the
>> master CVS^H^H^Hgit repository world-writable.  The complaint I have
>> about people posting URLs is that there's no stable archive of what
>> the patches really were, and just because it came out of someone's
>> local git repository doesn't help that.
>
> The master repository need not be world-writeable, but as many public
> ones as needed for development should be.  I'd love for people to use
> our infrastructure, but github, etc., would also work.

As much as I'm starting to join the "let's move the main repo to git"
crowd, all you need for what you're suggesting here is a stable git
mirror on git.postgresql.org.

/Magnus