Re: [ADMIN] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Subbiah, Stalin
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux
Date
Re: [ADMIN] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux
List pgsql-performance
As anyone done performance benchmark testing with solaris sparc/intel linux.
I once read a post here, which had benchmarking test results for using
different filesystem like xfs, ext3, ext2, ufs etc. i couldn't find that
link anymore and google is failing on me, so anyone have the link handy.

Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Josh Berkus [mailto:josh@agliodbs.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 12:13 PM
To: Matt Clark; Subbiah, Stalin; 'Andrew Sullivan';
pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] [ADMIN] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux

Matt, Stalin,

> As for the compute intensive side (complex joins & sorts etc), the Dell
will
most likely beat the Sun by some distance, although
> what the Sun lacks in CPU power it may make up a bit in memory bandwidth/
latency.

Personally, I've been unimpressed by Dell/Xeon; I think the Sun might do
better than you think, comparitively.    On all the Dell servers I've used
so
far, I've not seen performance that comes even close to the hardware specs.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions