Re: postgres on Windows: PAE and max memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: postgres on Windows: PAE and max memory
Date
List pgsql-general
On Apr 24, 2007, at 8:50 PM, William Garrison wrote:
> I have a server running Windows Server 2003 32-bit that has 8GB of
> memory.  Our system administrator installed PAE (Physical Address
> Extensions) which I know MS SQL Server will use, but I'm not sure
> if PostgreSQL will.
>
> Can PostgreSQL use the memory above 2GB and 4GB?

Have you tried it? :)

I don't know off-hand if it can or not, but keep in mind that unlike
most databases, PostgreSQL tends to rely on the OS helping with
caching, so you don't generally want to give all your memory to
PostgreSQL to use.