RE: Is PostgreSQL as an NT Service the next level? - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Robby Slaughter
Subject RE: Is PostgreSQL as an NT Service the next level?
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
>As I understand it, there is postgres.exe process per connection.  Perhaps
>you could reduce the dozens of of processes by doing some connection
>pooling.  I'm using postgresql as the db for a J2EE app on 2000.  My J2EE
>platform does connection pooling for me and I never get more than 4
>postgres.exe processes.

I turned on connection pooling in the Data Source control panel for the
PostgreSQL driver. I'll see if that helps.

>Also, what kind of "vacuuming" do you do?  Just curious.

About once a day I open up a psql window and type "vacuum;" at the
prompt. Sometimes more often if the performance is slow. It does seem
to help but my performance is still very low.

Thanks,
Robby