Re: Precision of time types - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: Precision of time types
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Nov 13, 2007, at 6:45 , Wolfgang Keller wrote:

> When/how is the internal storage method determined?
>
> Compile-time option?

Yes, depending on the --enable-integer-datetimes flag.

> So, do I need to use a numeric type for the seconds and define my
> own composite datetime column or can I use a properly parameterized
> built-in time type of PostgreSQL?

Are you looking at timestamps or durations? If you're looking at
timestamps, you could use timestamp(0) + an additional column to hold
the number of nanoseconds. If durations (mis-named intervals in SQL),
you could either store it as an interval(0) + an additional column
for nanoseconds, or perhaps the total number of seconds in a numeric
column.

As you suggest, you could wrap the two columns into a single
composite type.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net