Re: Why index occupy less amount of space than the table with same structure. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: Why index occupy less amount of space than the table with same structure.
Date
List pgsql-general
On 29 Mar 2010, at 6:03, Tadipathri Raghu wrote:

> Hi Alban,
>
> Thank you for the update.
>
> For one thing: The table holds information regarding to which transactions each row is visible (the xid) whereas the
indexdoes not.

> What would be the each value of the xid, like 8 bytes,or 32 bytes..which causing the table to hold what index is not
andthe space occupied is exactly half of the table in indexes. Can you explain a bit on this.

I'm pretty sure the documentation explains this better than I can.

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4bb0618a10411369417804!