RE: Patch for Improved Syntax Error Reporting - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject RE: Patch for Improved Syntax Error Reporting
Date
List pgsql-patches
> But how do they display error messages now?  Can't they just continue
> doing that with this new code?  Do we want to make them code their own
> error handling, and for what little benefit?  Let them figure out how to
> display the error in fixed-width font and be done with it.  I am sure
> they have bigger things to do than colorize error locations.

My 2c:

Why not do tom's suggestion for the POSITION: n thing, and modify psql to
strip out that header, and output the relevant part of the sql with a caret
highlighting the error position.

This will make it so that writers of the guis and format errors how they
like, and users of the most popular text interface (psql) get human-readable
results...

ie. best of both worlds...

Chris