RE: Advice on machine specs for growth - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steven Winfield
Subject RE: Advice on machine specs for growth
Date
List pgsql-general

> Disable memory overcommit and set swappiness to 0 on database servers.

Just to be clear, are you suggesting (on linux) setting overcommit_memory = 2 but leaving overcommit_ratio alone, which defaults to 50%?

I’ve tried setting them to 2 and 0% respectively in the past and it didn’t end well…

Also I’ve read, and now use, swappiness = 1 which is supposed to disable swapping entirely except when not swapping would cause OOM.

Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,

Steve.