Re: Best COPY Performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alex Stapleton
Subject Re: Best COPY Performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 23 Oct 2006, at 22:59, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> http://stats.distributed.net used to use a perl script to do some
> transformations before loading data into the database. IIRC, when we
> switched to using C we saw 100x improvement in speed, so I suspect
> that
> if you want performance perl isn't the way to go. I think you can
> compile perl into C, so maybe that would help some.

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?
test=all&lang=perl&lang2=gcc

100x doesn't totally impossible if that is even vaguely accurate and
you happen to be using bits of Perl which are a lot slower than the C
implementation would be...
The slowest things appear to involve calling functions, all the
slowest tests involve lots of function calls.