Incorrect Total runtime Reported by Explain Analyze!? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jozsef Szalay
Subject Incorrect Total runtime Reported by Explain Analyze!?
Date
Re: Incorrect Total runtime Reported by Explain Analyze!?
List pgsql-performance

Hi All,

I have seen it on occasion that the total runtime reported by explain analyze was much higher than the actual time the query needed to complete. The differences in my case ranged between 20-120 seconds. I’m just curious if anyone else has experienced this and whether there is something that I can do to convince explain analyze to report the execution time of the query itself rather than the time of its own execution. Engine version is 8.1.1.

Thanks for the help!