Re: Query performance over a large proportion of data

From: decibel
Subject: Re: Query performance over a large proportion of data
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Query performance over a large proportion of data  ("Steve McLellan", )
 Re: Query performance over a large proportion of data  (Scott Marlowe, )
 Re: Query performance over a large proportion of data  ("Kevin Grittner", )
  Re: Query performance over a large proportion of data  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Query performance over a large proportion of data  (Scott Marlowe, )
 Re: Query performance over a large proportion of data  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Query performance over a large proportion of data  (Steve McLellan, )
 Re: Query performance over a large proportion of data  (Steve McLellan, )
  Re: Query performance over a large proportion of data  (Scott Marlowe, )
 Re: Query performance over a large proportion of data  (Steve McLellan, )
 Re: Query performance over a large proportion of data  (decibel, )
  Re: Query performance over a large proportion of data  (Matteo Beccati, )

On Mar 10, 2009, at 4:12 PM, Steve McLellan wrote:
> The server itself is a dual-core 3.7GHz Xeon Dell (each core
> reporting 2
> logical CPUs) running an amd64 build of FreeBSD 6.2, and postgres
> 8.3.5 built
> from source.

Uh, you're running an amd64 build on top of an Intel CPU? I didn't
think FBSD would allow that, but if it does it wouldn't surprise me
if kernel/OS performance stunk. If Postgres then used the same
settings it would make matters even worse (IIRC there is some code
that's different in an AMD vs Intel build).
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect